Sunday 3 February 2013

Mood Support Supplement

I was passing through the vitamins and supplements section of a Rexall Pharmacy recently when I spotted this particular bottle:



An Omega-3 (EPA 500, DHA 250) based supplement intended to support a healthy mood. Naturally, as a person with a Mood Disorder (e.g. bipolar disorder), I was curious. I had never heard about this type of product before now. If any of my readers have I'd be very keen to hear your thoughts on this product or others like it - feel free to email me directly or post a comment please.

I assume it must take a derivative of something like fish oil for the omega-3 essential fatty acids, which research has indicated to have an affect on mood.  Now I wonder if this product only benefits people who are naturally deficient in omega-3's, which causes their unbalanced moods, or could it help other types of mood disorders in general (e.g. depression, bipolar disorder)? As these other types of mood disorders (which are mental illnesses) are often caused by problems with brain chemistry directly related to neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, glutamate and GABA.
   
With these questions in mind I did a little research of my own. I pulled out 'The Natural Medicine Guide to Bipolar Disorder' (written by Stephanie Marohn) and looked into the relationship between omega-3's and mood.  In this guidebook it explains that the building blocks of most neurotransmitters (as well as their synapses and receptors) are derived from the amino acids obtained from omega-3 fatty acids, and are thus essential for healthy brain function. Interesting.

The idea of taking an omega-3 supplement for long term health care is much more appealing than taking something as toxic as lithium!  Now I don't expect this to be a miracle drug by any means, as I'm sure bipolar disorder is much more complex in cause and long term management (from my experience anyway), but if some fish oil can help even a little bit its worth a try in my opinion.
While I haven't run out and bought a bottle just yet, I'm going to keep looking into it.  And if anyone has any thoughts on this I'm keen to hear them.
  
Maybe I'll have some salmon for dinner tonight ;)

Now that's food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment